2. Multigrain Bread

If you're anything like me, it doesn't take long in Liberia to crave a good whole grain, nutty, seedy bread. The sweet white stuff sold on the side of the road might be good occasionally, but after a bit it feels like I'm eating cotton candy or bread-flavored air.  

The 'whole wheat' sliced bread I've been able to find falls apart super easily and is also relatively tasteless. 

You CAN find delicious whole grain bread, you just have to know where to look.   Stop & Shop on 17th and Tubman.  



Go to the back left of the store, where the bakery is.  It's usually set on top of the bakery counter! There was a pile there today, when I stopped in, but sometimes there's only one or two loaves.

Sometimes you can tell it's been frozen and thawed.  It's still soft and delicious, I promise.
  
Sometimes you get there and it's still warm, right out of the oven.  Then it's exceptionally delicious and you may accidentally eat the entire loaf in one sitting with a little bit of salted butter and honey melted into it... heaven.  

It makes a really lovely grilled cheese, peanut butter toast, or a base to a tuna melt.  It freezes well.  It's got some seeds in it (sunflower I think?) but it's not what I could consider a seed bread, it's not super seedy.  I don't know what's in it, you'd have to ask them.  

There's also usually some other obviously imported sliced whole grain breads on the counter back there, but they've been around awhile.  This stuff is made here in Liberia. 


It might be available at other Stop & Shops, I don't know. It's worth a look if you live near another one!

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9. Pita Chips

15. Sea side, Sinkor runs

1. Mangosteens